Friday 21 January 2011

Kit Review: Hi-Tec Silver Shadow and Saucony Guide 3

I'm going to give you two pictures first off. Here is Hi-Tec's Silver Shadow designed in the 1980's to be the worlds first professional running shoe - I would hazard that more pairs of this shoe have been sold than any other running shoe largely because it's in use by several large organizations even today like the Army.

Now here is the Saucony Guide 3 running shoe. Designed very recently and more or less bang up to date technology wise when I bought mine last spring.

OK so I'm going to compare them on five key points. Value for money - running shoes have a lifespan so this is not just about price point. Comfort in the gym. Comfort outdoors. Looks. Protection - what they do to minimize injury.


Value for Money

When your starting off this can be key. For your first month or two your actual milage may be very low and walking may be the name of the game. Especially if, like Elle and I, your carrying weight. The headline price for the Silver Shadows is around £20. I mean thats an amazing price. Their durability is good as well - I've had my most recent pair for two years. The Guide 3 is going to run you between £40 and £70 right now which might sound a lot or might not. Theyre also very durable - mine are just about due for replacement before my 10k in summer meaning they will have done well over 500 miles without the heel degrading or the sole splitting. I run outdoors 90% of the time as well.

Overall I have to give the Hi-Tec's a 9/10 here and the Saucony 8/10.

Comfort in the Gym

What I'm talking about here is indoor sessions that include or revolve around things other than running. The Hi-Tec's come into their own here. They don't have the spring and correction that helps my Guide 3's help me when I run so using a cross trainer is much more comfortable. You could definately use the Saucony shoes in the gym though but it's not what theyre designed so carefully to do. In fact running on a treamill with these on is rather like bouncing through life for me.

Overall I'm going to give the advantage to the Hi-Tec shoes again with 8/10 to the Guide 3's 6/10.

Comfort in the Outdoors

This one reverses the trend a long way. I find that the biggest problem with the Hi-Tec's is that they don't provide as much stability on loose surfaces as the Guide 3's. Going downhill my toe creeps forward in them and on long runs, or the longest I do, my feet become slick much more quickly. Though neither shoe have ever given me cause to blister I've had a few rub marks from my Silver Shadows when I run outdoors.

Ultimately then the newer shoe has it with 8/10 compared to the legacy model's 5/10.

Looks

This is a bit of a personal one I suppose but I grew up running in Silver Shadows. I used them for PE at school, college and at the gym at Uni. They dirty quickly and look like a funny off grey-brown colour but frankly I like that and if I don't they machine wash very well. They're sleek and unimposing. When I see someone else using some, which is a rarity, I instantly feel warm about the person. How sentimental is that? It's like when you see a Mini Cooper for me.

So while I don't think the Guide 3 is a bad looking shoe it gets only an average 6/10 to the Silver Shadow's 9/10.

Protection

Ok I make no bones here I have never gotten injured wearing my Guide 3's. Ever. In 9 months. I've had tweaks and had to slow down a bit but never an injury. I've never had a blister. Never had a black toenail. Never even broke a sock. At my activity level these shoes are divine protection almost. On the flipside I have broken socks and I've had two farily serious injuries as well as the traditional shin splints in my Hi-Tecs.

Simple really Saucony Guide 3 9/10. Hi-Tec Silver Shadow 4/10.

So lets add it up. 37 points for the Guide 3 beats the 35 point Silver Shadow score. If you use the Silver Shadows as gym shoes you occasionally run a few miles in I think theyre superb value. However run even a few more than a few miles and your probably going to feel some pain. Still they do look fantastic and they are a classic. The systems of protection and sheer technology behind the Guide 3's really do make them a great buy though.

Tune in tomorrow for my best of the Internet this week.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment